This is my grandmother's banana bread recipe. 'round these parts we make it with pecans and NOT WALNUTS!!! Yucky dumb ol' walnuts.
- 2 Cups Sifted Flour
- 1 1/3 Cups Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg (fresh ground is best)
- 1/2 Cup Softened Shortening (but butter is better)
- 1 Cup Mashed Ripe Bananas
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Pecans, chopped into chunky large bits.
- Another 1/4 Cup Pecan Halves
Sift dry ingredients over shortening (butter is better). Add milk, bananas, and vanilla; mix until dry ingredients are moistened. Beat vigorously for two minutes.Add eggs and beat for two more minutes. Fold in chopped nuts.
Pour into two greased and floured loaf pans. Arrange the pecan halves on top of each loaf, so they look nice.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until it "cake tests" done.